Inspiration

ABOUT:

"Rosie the Riveter" is a cultural icon representing the American woman working during WWII. She symbolizes the strong, independent woman of that time. -- Now, more than 70 years later, the symbol stands as strong as she. I am proud to be a woman and am grateful for other brave women before me that endured the struggle of sexism and paved the equal path to our society today.

These are the confessions, lessons learned and experiences from my life. A single, independent, strong, young professional woman living in a busy Downtown city in Northern California.

Embracing my domesticity while enjoying the freedom of being perfectly lonely.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, March 15, 2013

My Single Story - Diamond Ring

A few people have asked me about my story. Why I am single. I found a song today that perfectly describes a time in my life when I was at a crossroad and found myself ultimately walking the path alone. 

Diamond Ring, Sheryl Crow Detours, 2008

I felt pressured to take my relationship with my long time boyfriend to the next step. We had been and lived together for multiple years and I loved him. We were comfortable. 

I thought I wanted a ring. A diamond ring. 

That Christmas morning when I opened my gift from him and saw a beautiful diamond ring staring back at me, I was in shock. It was a promise ring, not an engagement ring, but it was still a promise. 


We've all heard about those "near death" stories where your life supposedly flashes before your eyes. Well, that was happening as I was entranced with those diamonds. I saw good times and bad times. Then I flash-forward to all those life experiences that I was not going to have because of my commitment. 

As hard as it was, that ring woke me up. Brought me back to reality. 

I loved him but I needed to completely love myself before I was ready to give my all.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Diamond Ring 

We made love all day
In our little hide away

But I blew up our love nest
By making one little request

Diamond ring
Diamond ring
Don't mean anything
Diamond ring
Diamond ring
Should not mean a thing

You could say I do
Hide your negative reviews
You love me you say
But you can't even face the day

Diamond ring
Diamond ring
Don't mean anything
Diamond ring
Diamond ring
Should not change,

Some say love is blind
But I say love is only in the mind

Diamonds may be sweet
But to me they just bring on cold feet

Someday you'll be like me
With someone who just wants to be free


Diamond ring
Diamond ring
Fucks up everything
Diamond ring
Diamond ring
Should not mean a thing.
------------------------------------------------------------------

I am BLESSED to say we are still good friends but for right now, just friends. I love him. I would do anything for him and I know he would do the same for me. We are living separate but happy lives. Separating was the right decision. We found ourselves again and we found our own independence. 

(fun times, just friends) 

If I told you I didn't think about that diamond ring, I would be lying. 

If I told you I didn't put it on my finger once and a awhile, I would be lying. 

...But perfectly lonely is where it and I will stay... 

No comments:

Post a Comment