Inspiration

ABOUT:

"Rosie the Riveter" is a cultural icon representing the American woman working during WWII. She symbolizes the strong, independent woman of that time. -- Now, more than 70 years later, the symbol stands as strong as she. I am proud to be a woman and am grateful for other brave women before me that endured the struggle of sexism and paved the equal path to our society today.

These are the confessions, lessons learned and experiences from my life. A single, independent, strong, young professional woman living in a busy Downtown city in Northern California.

Embracing my domesticity while enjoying the freedom of being perfectly lonely.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Feel on those Titties.

No seriously, you should feel them. 

Your own of course. I don't recommend feeling someone else's unless they allow it. But if you do, let me know how that goes. I could use a laugh!


Breast health is extremely important. Get mammograms and regular checkups but most importantly, do self breast exams EVERY MONTH! 

You think it can't happen to you because we are all our own versions of Superman or Wonder Woman. 
But it can. 
Before I start preaching, I'll tell you my story. Quickly. 
1 year ago today, I had surgery to take out a lump in each one of my breasts. 

Let me back up even further.

....a couple months before my surgery, I was minding my own business...watching T.V. at home, chatting with my roommates while scratching my boob (too much info? Sorry) Anyways, boob scratching & I found a hard lumpy thing on one side. I went straight to the bathroom & basically hulked my shirt off and was feeling myself....not in the good way...I found another one on the other side... 

WTF!

I was seriously NOT trying to freak out but I couldn't help it. I poked, prodded, squeezed, cried, hyperventilated & calmed back down again all in about 3 minutes. 

Called the doctor & set up an appointment for the next morning while I was frantically doing research on WebMD trying to figure out what my new friends could be besides the "C" word. Word of advice: just don't. DO NOT use WebMD. Not only did I have the "C" word after looking at WebMD but I basically convinced myself I only had 24 hours to live. A little nuts but can you blame me? 

Oh & get this! I had gone to my girly doctor about 2-3 months before finding these boob roommates, my regular doctor about 1 month before that and well I did have a steady boyfriend at the time & I'll just leave it at that. I kept thinking how comfortable I am with my body and how I should have known these suckers were growing! How did I just find them? 

LONG STORY SHORT. Can I even use that phrase this far into a post? 

Anyways, LONG STORY SHORT, the doctors believed these lumps from hell were "Fibroedenomas" which are benign tumors. Benign meaning not cancerous or malignant. But it wasn't that easy. The doctors were unable to get a biopsy to see if they actually were cancerous or not & I didn't want these new sidekicks of mine to hang around to find out. So surgery it was.


Those buddies of mine did end up being non-cancerous, thank God. Now all I have left of them are two scars...which I was self-conscious about for almost a year until I realized how ridiculous it was to be ashamed of them. My boobs are great! The surgery didn't change them at all, just added a little scar for character.
My scars are my tiger stripes! I earned them dammit.

Love my boobs....and Vegas....
This experience proved to me how quickly life can change. How much we, or I, took my life for granted. How precious life really is. Live your life to the fullest, you never know when you can be smacked in the face by a harsh reality.

So back to my preaching....feel your breasts. Doesn't matter how old you are. Doesn't matter your family history. Doesn't matter if you are a female or male (guys, you can get breast cancer too!) FEEL THEM UP! It could save your life. 


---------------------------------

I want to thank a certain person that I went to high school with, dealing with cancer himself right now. He has been so open with his diagnosis and has shared so much with his Facebook friends. If it wasn't for his preaching, I probably would not be writing this post right now. He showed me it's okay not to be insecure about this issue and to share it with the world so that my experience may help another.
For that, thank you Steven.





2 comments: