Inspiration

ABOUT:

"Rosie the Riveter" is a cultural icon representing the American woman working during WWII. She symbolizes the strong, independent woman of that time. -- Now, more than 70 years later, the symbol stands as strong as she. I am proud to be a woman and am grateful for other brave women before me that endured the struggle of sexism and paved the equal path to our society today.

These are the confessions, lessons learned and experiences from my life. A single, independent, strong, young professional woman living in a busy Downtown city in Northern California.

Embracing my domesticity while enjoying the freedom of being perfectly lonely.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Cajun Veggie Jambalaya

OH MY GOSH. One word - DELICIOUS.
 
 
Let me just say first, this is the first time I have ever made jambalaya & I'm hooked!
Like most of my recipes, I did my research...looked up probably 20-25 recipes and combinded some to make my own creation. I can credit Emeril Lagasse as the main contributor. Usually, my recipes are 100% vegetarian but I had dinner guests so I made a special veggie version for myself and added shrimp and sausage to theirs.
 
Let's just say, there were no leftovers so I had to share this with you.
 
Ingredients:
 
1 tblsp creole seasoning - recipe follows
2 tblsp EVOO
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 large red pepper, chopped
3-4 celery stalks, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 tomatoes, chopped
2 tsp worechestershire sauce
2 tsp hot sauce
1 cup quinoa (or rice)
3 cups chicken stock
1 lbs shrimp, deribbed & cleaned
1 sausage, decased
 
Creole Seasoning: - Please note, you will have extra, you will not use all of this seasoning.
 
2 tblsp paprika
2 tblsp garlic salt
1 tblsp black pepper
1 tblsp onion powder
1 tblsp cayenne pepper
1 tblsp dried oregano
1 tblsp dried thyme
 
Directions:
 
  1. Mix all seasonings together in a bowl thoroughly.
  2. In a bowl, combine shrimp and enough seasoning as you wish. Note it is spicy.
  3. In a large saucepan, heat EVOO on medium heat. Add onion, pepper and celery; cook until soft.
  4. Add garlic and tomatoes and liquids.
  5. Stir in quinoa and slowly add broth. Reduce heat to medium and cook until the broth is mostly absorbed, stirring occasionally.
  6. If you are to add meat, add it now.
  7. Season with the creole seasoning to taste. Again, spicy, add slow and taste!
  8.  
I served this meal with jalepeno chedder jiffy cornbread muffins and a green salad of arugula. I added both on top of my bowl of jambalaya :)
 
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment