Inspiration

ABOUT:

"Rosie the Riveter" is a cultural icon representing the American woman working during WWII. She symbolizes the strong, independent woman of that time. -- Now, more than 70 years later, the symbol stands as strong as she. I am proud to be a woman and am grateful for other brave women before me that endured the struggle of sexism and paved the equal path to our society today.

These are the confessions, lessons learned and experiences from my life. A single, independent, strong, young professional woman living in a busy Downtown city in Northern California.

Embracing my domesticity while enjoying the freedom of being perfectly lonely.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup

I was hosting a dinner for my brother, his girlfriend and another friend on a cold November night and could not think of what to cook. Just a few short days after Thanksgiving and my brother was still craving mashed potatoes! I was mashed-potatoes-out but thought that maybe making a soup would be a good idea...I WAS RIGHT! First time attempting to make a potato soup and it will definitely not be my last! We paired the soup with some fancy grilled paninis and a yummy wine and the night was a success!

Of course I kinda skimmed another recipe I had in a book but made it my own which is what you see below! Super easy & my favorite, a one pot meal! Enjoy!

POTATO BROCCOLI & CHEESE SOUP
Ingredients:
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 3 celery stocks, chopped finely
  • 2lbs of potatoes - I used small gold potatoes, skinned and chopped
  • 3 cups of stock - I use veggie
  • 1 cup of water
  • 2 cups of half and half
  • 2-3 cups of broccoli - I used frozen broccoli
  • 1 cup of chedder cheese, shredded
  • salt & pepper - I also add a handful of Rosemary. Rosemary and potatoes are heavenly! 
  • green onion,  chopped, optional
Directions:
  1. In a large pot, saute the onions and celery until clear.
  2. Add potatoes, stock, water, and half and half. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low-medium and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
  3. While the potatoes are simmering, pour broccoli into a microwave safe dish, add 3 teaspoons of water, cover with plastic wrap and heat for 3 minutes and drain the water.
  4. Once potatoes become softer, add the broccoli, slightly mash. They will still be very clumpy, you will be blending them so they don't need to be completely mashed.
  5. Transfer the soup into a blender or use a handblender in the pot to blend the soup to your favored consistancy. I like mostly blended but a few chunks of potato.
  6. Transfer the soup back into the pot and/or continue to simmer for 10 more minutes while adding the cheese until melted.
  7. Add the spices to your liking. I add some chopped green onions as well and enjoy!!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment