Inspiration

ABOUT:

"Rosie the Riveter" is a cultural icon representing the American woman working during WWII. She symbolizes the strong, independent woman of that time. -- Now, more than 70 years later, the symbol stands as strong as she. I am proud to be a woman and am grateful for other brave women before me that endured the struggle of sexism and paved the equal path to our society today.

These are the confessions, lessons learned and experiences from my life. A single, independent, strong, young professional woman living in a busy Downtown city in Northern California.

Embracing my domesticity while enjoying the freedom of being perfectly lonely.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

SINGLE

A tale as old as time...

Okay, not really. Maybe it's just the STORY OF MY LIFE. At least lately. 

To escape hurting anyone's feelings, I won't name names or places but I recently attended a "function" and it was the first time in a long time I felt judged for being single. 

I was surrounded by young newlyweds and mothers all chatting about their "one on the way" or how amazing their husband's new job was...  Now, let me tell you, I do not get butthurt, hurt feelings, feel awkward usually at all. And to be honest, I didn't really feel like that during the situation. I was completely comfortable at the time, chatting it up, playing with the little ones running around. But now that a couple day have passed, I just can't shake the thought, "why am I single, why haven't I found <the one>, is it me?" 

Then....the most amazing thing happened. I SNAPPED MYSELF OUT OF IT! What was I thinking? Not to toot my own horn, but I am loving the independent, single me! I compiled a little list of why I love being single...

CAUTION: before reading this, if you are NOT single and in a happy marriage, relationship, engagement, crush....I don't judge you. I love that you are happy! Everyone is different and right now, I am completely satisfied being in a relationship with myself. And well, Marley :) 

1. I get to do whatever I want! 
Quick trip out of town? I don't have to run it past anyone. I can just pick up my stuff and go! Wine for dinner? Hell yes! Sleep in until noon? You better believe it! No makeup? No problem! Dance around my house in my underwear acting like an idiot? Everyday!  

2. I'm learning to do more "man" things. 
If you know me, I am all about female independence (hence the blog)...but there are some things in life I just don't like to do. And well, if a man is around, he can totally do it for me & I'm not mad at all. Fortunately, I grew up with a Dad who is the epitome  of a manly-man, so most of this stuff I know how to do, I just choose not to. But now, I am proud that I can do it! Like changing my license cover on my car (Go Cowboys!), and fixing the garbage disposal, and killing that pesky spider above my door. 

3. I get the WHOLE bed to myself. 
No explanation needed. #winning 

4. No judgement for my nightlight!
I do sleep with a nightlight. And I won't ever quit. 

5. I'm living life through my eyes, my brain, my body and my soul. 
I am learning more about myself as an independent person than I ever have. I am learning my own habits, listening to my personal thoughts and doing things I may not have done if I was with someone. 
I am truly loving me. 


Now, like I said before, if you are in a relationship, I am happy for you. I hope one day, I will  be there too, all googly eyed and lovey dovey. I know there is someone out there for me. My lobster, my other half, my partner. But for right now, I am so content with me & Mar. And I hope my "future partner" is happy out there finding himself too. So when we do meet, no strings attached or heavy baggage will hold our love down. 




What do you love about being single? What do you love about being in a relationship?

No comments:

Post a Comment